Sunday 2 June 2013

Recent Photoshop Painting and my Nepal Sketchbook

Over Easter I went on an incredible mountaineering trip to Nepal, I spent 3 weeks with no modern technology trekking through (in my opinion) the most beautiful scenery in the world and climbing the Tharong La Pass (which is 5500m above sea level and a week of trekking away from civilisation). The only drawing materials I took with me was an A4 sketchbook, some mechanical pencils and a figure drawing book. Whilst I didn't draw anywhere near as much as I thought I would (after walking all day at altitude I was too tired to think straight) I still did a few sketches;

3 weeks with no computers, television or photoshop really improved my drawing. I had a 12 hour wait in Qatar airport on my way there and I stupidly filled up half my sketchbook with absent minded scribbles as I sat in the departures area. I then realised I was running out of paper on the third day so I had to be really picky with what I drew and the size that I drew as I tried to conserve paper. 








An old woman in one of the villages;
























I haven't been doing as much photoshop painting recently as I'm spending more time learning modelling and trying to learn lighting theory, anatomy and colour theory so I can become an all round better artist. 

Here's a photoshop painting of a buddhist monk I did a few weeks ago, it was one of the first portraits I've done in photoshop without any reference. I wanted to use really rich, vibrant colours but first I did a black and white sketch to determine the values. 



With colours added; (click on the image to see it at a normal size)


3 comments:

  1. Hello, I was very encouraged to find this site. The reason being that this is such an informative post.Really great blog keep it up.
    Colour Nepal
    Color Nepal

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT IS Genuinely Very Useful FOR ME.I LIKE YOUR Put up Simply because IT IS Very Useful FOR ME AS Effectively. HOPING THE Exact same Best Operate IN THE UP COMING Times ALSO. THANK YOU!
    Paint dealer Nepal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Severe lover of your site, a significant variety of your weblog posts have really aided me out. Hunting in the direction of updates!Paint dealer Nepal

    ReplyDelete